We are passionate about helping students and adults experience the awe and joy of mathematics. Over six million students across the planet have played Exploding Dots. It’s a stunning approach to arithmetic and algebra that helps students see the mathematics they thought they knew so well in an astonishing new light. Students and teachers alike regularly describe this experience as “mind blowing.”
We offer live online lessons led by trained Global Math Project ambassadors.
For grades 4-8:
- Six 30- to 45-minute sessions with students and teachers observing and debriefing after each lesson, plus access to all our teacher guides and practice materials.
For grades 9-12:
- Eight 45-minute sessions with students and teachers observing and debriefing after each lesson, plus access to all our teacher guides and practice materials. (And we have a bonus ninth lesson if you like!)
What teachers get out of these lessons:
- Expert math coaching with debriefing after each lesson.
- Valuable insights into how your students think and approach problem solving.
- Tools to move from direct instruction towards something more student-centered and experiential.
What students get out of these lessons:
- Joy and meaning to school arithmetic and, for high-school students, advanced algebra.
- A deep sense that mathematics is accessible and meaningful.
- Increased confidence in problem solving.
What everyone gets out of these lessons:
- A transformed mindset for doing and enjoying mathematics and powerful meta-cognition tools.
“Even my students who don’t normally feel like they’re ‘good at math’ feel successful with Exploding Dots. Brilliant!” — Teacher, Phoenix, AZ.
It changed my view of math … Now I am confident and more excited about math. — Student, Las Vegas, NV.To see what is in the lessons, look here.
We follow each lesson with a debrief session, just with teachers, to reflect on the lesson and discuss how to deliver similar experiences with other math content. Think of all this as expert math coaching for teachers, coupled with transformational lessons and experiences for your students.
It’s so rare that you find PD models that equally attend to students and teachers. Teachers can see the learning with the kids in progress. A typical PD class is a video as an end product that doesn’t explain how they got there. There is huge power in seeing the learning and the understanding unfold from the beginning to the end. That helps the teachers stick with it in their own classrooms because they have the proof of concept, and they saw how the trainers addressed certain issues that came up.. — M. Hackett, Director of Math and Science, Sunnyside School District, AZ.
Pricing:Our fee for these lessons is $3600 for a six-lesson series and $4800 for an eight-lesson series. (If you’d like a bonus lesson, let us know!)
Not sure this is manageable for your school budget? Email us at email@example.com.
Just write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. to begin a discussion about bringing this to your fabulous community of students and teacher-colleagues.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
In what language do you offer these sessions?
Initially in English. But we are training GMP Ambassadors who speak other languages how to conduct these sessions too.
Do you provide worksheets and homework for these classes?
Our Teacher Guides (which we share with you) contain student handouts and practice questions, to be shared and discussed if desired.
Class time is precious. Why would a teacher give up 6 to 8 class periods for this?
Our work is curriculum connected and curriculum relevant, but we are not following a particular lesson program. Teachers tell us that our program changes their students’ view of mathematics, creates a growth mindset for all participants, and increases willingness and confidence in problem-solving. The long-term payoffs may well outweigh the short-term worries of “getting through” the immediate curriculum.
Can I, as a teacher, watch and learn too?
Absolutely. Math joy is for one and all! Plus, teachers are expected to join in!
Do you teach these lessons live or are they pre-recorded?
All of our lessons are taught live by trained GMP Ambassadors. For the moment, all lessons are conducted via Zoom. Once students return to classrooms we will provide a mix of in-person and Zoom lessons depending upon location.